The Academy, in partnership with the Friedrich Naumann Foundation in Germany, organized an expanded meeting for the Palestinian Chemical Society Founding Council and all chemistry experts from Palestinian universities, with the objective to announce the re-launch of the Society, pass its bylaws, and expand its base.
The event was held in coordination with the Palestinian universities through their representatives in the Chemical Society Founding Council and in cooperation with the Palestinian Federation of Industries, and took place on April 13, 2019, at the Palestine Red Crescent Society, Al Bireh, Ramallah, in conjunction with Al Aqsa University in Gaza via videoconference.
Palestinian university Professors in the fields of chemistry from the West Bank and Gaza participated in the meeting, in addition to representatives from the Union of Pharmaceutical Industries, Federation of Plastic Industries, Palestinian Food Industries Union, Federation of Chemical Industries and Royal Industrial Company.
The meeting consisted of four sessions: the opening session which included honouring of the initial pioneers of the Chemical Society, a session on the academic and educational issues of concern to chemists and universities, a session on the industrial unions and their intersections with chemistry, and a session on the administrative and organizational matters for the Chemical Society, in which the 2019 executive action plan and scientific framework for the society were approved.
Some of the topics presented and covered by the second session
- Prof. Hikmat Hilal, An Najah National University: On the reality and challenges facing chemistry research in Palestine
- Prof. Talal Shahwan, Birzeit University: On the reality of scientific publications in chemistry
- Prof. Nizam Diab, Arab American University Jenin: On the reality of studying chemistry in university and the reluctance of students to enrol in chemistry programs
- Dr. Bassam Abu Ghalyoun, Palestinian Food Industries Union: On the vision of the Union, and academia-industry partnership
- Dr. Fahed Takrouri, Hebron University, On the reality of the plastic industries in Palestine
The meeting concluded in the following recommendations
- An international scientific conference on chemistry to be held in October of this year at the University of Bethlehem
- In the context of strengthening the academia and industry partnership, a visit by some Palestinian industrial associations to Palestinian universities will soon be organized, for presenting industry issues that require solutions from academia.
- A memorandum of understanding will be signed between the Academy and the Palestinian Federation of Industries to regulate and strengthen the partnership between academia and industry
- Establishment of an advanced national center for chemical and plastic analysis
In the media (Arabic):