- Dr. Juma Y. J. Alaydi
Dr. Juma Y. J. Alaydi
Dr. Juma Y. J. Alaydi
Department: Mechanical Engineering Department
Specialization: Mechanical Engineering
FRQ Research Area: Natural Sciences and Technology
Host university: Concordia University
Host Department: Mechanival Engineering
Canadian Partner: Prof Mamoun Midraj.
Research Domain: Material Sciences
Research Project Title: Lower-temperature surface hardening of stainless stee
Research Project Purpose: Stainless steel is the material of choice in various industries where corrosion resistance is of utmost importance, take for instance parts that are exposed to harsh environments. However, this highly favorable property does not always go hand in hand with high surface hardness, wear resistance and fatigue strength.
Most heat treatment methods cannot be easily applied to stainless steels to improve its properties. In particular, surface hardening of stainless steel by nitriding and nitrocarburising in the conventional temperature range of 500 to 1000 °C is highly detrimental to its corrosion properties. A possible solution is implementing processes that enable lower-temperature surface hardening of stainless steel
Expected Results :
- Strengthen University Research Industry Cooperation establishing more
- structured and long term cooperation schemes
- The research results would Engage in collaborations with industrial partners to
- find the solutions to Improve steel surface quality to match the local industries
- Foster the design of new surface hardening techniques characterized by
- innovative architectures and promote the development of new manufacturing
- techniques which are an important asset to improve competitiveness levels
- By doing research on local available techniques to develop alternative solutions,
- creating innovative multipurpose steel heat treatment at cheaper cost.
- Means to understand various issues of types of heat treatment and increase public
- awareness to improve the quality of manufactured steel parts in Gaza and west
- bank after publishing the experiments procedure and the results.
- Put the bases for the design new Multiscale CAD, CAE and CAM software tools,
- and employing ANSYS to simulate diffusion during heat treatment.
- Improving adhesive and abrasive wear, and the tribological properties of the metal
- as well.
- Increase the competitiveness of the steel industry, and increase the local
- manufactured steel parts as replacement for the imported ones.
- Improve the quality and safety profile of their steel-based products.