The Academy and Academy of Sciences Malaysia ASM have signed a Memorandum of Understanding MoU virtually via videoconference on 0ctober 06, 2021, for Scientific Collaboration in Research on fostering the STI collaboration between the two academies, in presence of H. E. Mr. Walid Abu Ali, The Ambassador of the State of Palestine to Malaysia, Brunei & Maldives, and scientific experts and directors from the two Academies, in addition to the Palestine Young Academy and Young Scientists Network - Academy of Sciences Malaysia (YSN-ASM).
The agreement was signed by the president of the Academy, HE Minister Prof. Marwan Awartani, and the president of the Academy of Sciences Malaysia ASM, Prof. ASMA Ismail, who expressed his readiness to provide services and assistance related to the following pilars:
- Technical assistance by the ASM in capacity building aspects including the development of internal governance of PALAST, the section process for fellows, forming academy bodies and committees, through mutual visits, learning on site visits, sharing of information kits.
- Engaging PALAST in international activities organized by ASM.
- Organizing joint scientific events: symposia, conferences, expert meetings.
- Sharing with PALAST best practices on how to develop / influence science policy in the country.
- Assist PALAST in building the national observatory for science, technology and innovation. This may include technical assistance, mutual visits, sharing know-how, training.
- Assist PALAST in designing and undertaking a science for / with society program together with a reach out program targeting young people.
- Assist PALAST in setting up effective joint research programs in certain areas of common interest.
- Facilitate short visits by Malaysian scientists to Palestinian universities for intensive courses, summer schools.
- Organize joint summer / winter schools in Palestine or in Malaysia.
- Develop jointly a Malaysian Palestinian Science Bridge [ short and medium term visits ] for Palestinian scientists to Malaysia research centers, universities, labs.
- According to the conditions stipulated herein, the objective of the present MOU is to foster collaboration in the fields of science, research and education between Palestine (Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza) and Malaysia, with support from the Malaysia, in the form of Palestinian - Malaysian Science Bridge program, for the purposes of capacity building and knowledge transfer in the fields of science and technology research and education