Under the patronage of The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD), OWSD-Palestine National Chapter participated in the “Arab Science Week” in collaboration with her peers from other Arab countries including Egypt, Palestine, Yemen, Sudan and Jordan; namely:
- Dr. Hoda Baslim - Member of OWSD Executive Office for the Arab World
- Prof. Dr. Rakhsana Ismail – Chair of OWSD Yemen National Chapter
- Prof. Dr. Sakina Al-Qatawneh - Secretary General of the OWSD Jordan National Jordan Chapter
- Prof. Mai Hassan - Secretary of OWSD Sudan National Chapter
- Prof. Dr. Amira Shaheen – Chair of OWSD Palestine National Chapter
- Prof. Dr. Mervat Fouda - Chair of Egypt National Chapter
The Arab Science Week (ASW) launched on August 15th, 2020 and continues its activities for (9) days. ASW is the largest virtual celebration of sciences and technology in the Arab World. It comes this year under the slogan “Future Aspirations” and in collaboration with several Arab entities including the University of Dubai, Society for the Advancement of Science and Technology in the Arab World (SASTA), Science and Development Network Middle East and North Africa, the UAE Space Agency, and SAASST .
The "Arab Science Week" includes more than 190 speakers, including scientists, researchers and experts from scientific, research and academic institutions from all over the Arab world, and it focuses on six important themes: technological aspirations, sustainable Earth, science fundamentals, science in our daily lives, and disaster preparedness.
The objectives of the Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) are strengthening their role in the development process and promoting their representation in scientific and technological leadership.
Dr. Amira Shaheen shared in a panel discussion “Efforts of Women in Science for the Developing World in the Arab World”, aims to highlight the role of the OWSD branches in the Arab world in:
- Promoting and increasing the participation of women in science and technology
- Enhancing the pioneering role of women in science and technology leadership
- Helping women participate in decision-making at the national and regional levels
Dr. Amira Shaheen presented an overview about newly established OWSD- Palestine National Chapter, and the main activities carried out, aims promoting the OWSD- Palestine National Chapter in the Arab region and showcase the Palestinian experience.