- Shatha Nazzal
Palestinian supervisor: Prof. Husain AlSamamra
Palestinian supervisor affiliation: Physics department/ Faculty of Science and Technology/ Al Quds university
Palestinian co-supervisor: Dr. Nour Maraytta
Palestinian co- supervisor affiliation: Physics department/ Berziet University
Degree aims: MSc
FZJ Supervisor: Prof. Karen Friese
Center in FZJ: Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS)
Affiliated University in Germany: RWTH Aachen, Institute for Crystallography
Title of Research: Magnetocaloric Effect (MCE)
Research Purpose: To obtain missing information and the Magnetocaloric properties of two compounds.
Aims of the research:
- Synthesis of polycrystalline material of Mn4FeSi3 and Mn2Fe3Si3 and growth of large single crystals using the Czochralski method.
- Oriented cutting of the crystals to prepare suitable samples for direction dependent magnetic measurements.
- Measurement of direction dependent macroscopic magnetic properties using the Vibrating Sample Magnetometer option. The magnetic field will be applied along the three different crystallographic directions of the orthorhombic/hexagonal unit cell. Magnetization measurements will be performed using both isothermal and isofield conditions.
- Analysis of the data and extraction of the direction dependent magnetocaloric effect.
- Establishment of structure property relationships and comparison of the compounds to other members of the series
Research Cluster: Energy Materials
Role in the research Cluster: Researcher